November 2013 Newsletter
Greetings to all outdoorsmen and women!
This summer we had a couple different events for kids…
- Outdoor Skills Day (June 7) – 200+ kids attended again for the second year in a row! This continues to exceed our expectations! It’s great to see them want to experience the outdoors and learn skills needed for outdoor activities.
- Family Fishing Day was held on a Monday night in June after being postponed because of rain…for the second year in a row. 50 kids registered for the event and we were once again very pleased with the turnout. The biggest catch was a 13 ½” bass! Thanks to the Sioux Center Wal-Mart and the Sioux County Conservation Board for their help with this event!
The board has started selling the 2014 gun calendars. A gun will be drawn every Wednesday in 2014 for a total of 52 guns to be given away! (*a cash buyout of gun can be redeemed in its place). Contact any board member from SCSC or go to our website for local businesses that carry the calendars. **Calendars will be sold until they are gone.
The board has been starting to plan the upcoming banquet to be held on March 8, 2014. It will once again be held at the Dordt College Rec Center.
Grand Prizes include….
- $1,000 gift certificate to Joe’s Appliance (Orange City)
- Sig P238 pistol
- Ruger 10/22
- Browning Citori 12 ga
- Anderson Machine AR15
- Savage FV22-250
- Winchester SX3 12 ga
- American Classic 1911 .45 cal pistol
- $500 Gift Card Scheels (2)
- $500 Cenex Gas Card (Co-op Gas & Oil – Sioux Center)
- Bayou Smoker/Grill
- Fishing Package (Jeff’s Tackle – Sioux Center)
Make sure to send in the enclosed form before the early bird deadline of February 1, 2014. Our early bird prizes this year will be:
- Thompson Omega Muzzleloader .50 cal
- Mosseburg 500 12 ga
- Marlin model 60 .22 cal
- $100 cash
- 4 – $50 cash
** Keep in mind that tickets are $15 more at the door the night of the banquet, so make sure to send in your form for tickets or contact any of the board members.
As always, business or individuals will have the opportunity to sponsor a gun. If you are interested in doing this, please contact any of the board members.
There are two – $250 scholarship available to high school seniors or current college students and we strongly encourage you to go online to our website (www.siouxcsc.org) for an application. Here is a great way to help with your college tuition! All applications must be postmarked no later than February 1, 2014.
The Legendary Sportsman Award will once again be awarded during our banquet. This award was not presented to anyone last year because no one was nominated. There are many deserving people that could receive this award, but we need you to nominate them. If you have someone in mind to nominate, please fill out a nomination form found on our website (www.siouxcsc.org). The forms must be postmarked no later than February 1, 2014.
Don’t forget to check out our website (www.siouxcsc.org)! Find information about upcoming events and purchase SCSC apparel as well!
We look forward to seeing you at our banquet! Be safe this hunting season!
Roger Van Beek
Sioux County Sportsmen’s Club